NS SAVANNAH H-1100 BUFFER SEAL SHAFT REPORT
The back-up program for the development, production, and testing of H-1100 seal shafts for the N.S. Savannah is described, with details given on the fabrication and inspection development, various aspects of operational testing, and production. The materials procurement, fabrication, and inspection procedures followed in the program are found to be a feasible approach to production of 17-4 PH seal shafts. Both non-destructive and functional tests are discussed, the latter including accelerated wear test, simulated life test, bent shaft test, and residual stress evaluation. Appendices, which make up the bulk of the report, provide data on procurement specifications, Stein seal heat treat process sheets, inspection records, the residual stress report, and the development of non-destructive examination for components of the NMSR control rod drive system.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number B-3-NH.
Babcock and Wilcox CompanyAtomic Energy Division
Lynchburg, VA USA 24504
- Publication Date: 1961-10-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 175 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Control systems; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors; Operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor construction; Nuclear reactor control systems; Nuclear reactor operation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Construction; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026332
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-3)-274
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 26 1973 12:00AM