THE STATES AND RAIL PRESERVATION
For states faced with rail abandonment or service curtailment, the Council of State Governments has appraised the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973 and examined some of the possible state responses to actions taken under the act. The booklet contains a draft of a State Rail Preservation Act for consideration by legislatures to give the State Department of Transportation or other agency the right to act as sole agent for assistance or acquisition by purchase, condemnation or other means of rail properties for continued operation in the public interest. As presented the draft legislation has seven titles.
Council of State GovernmentsIron Works Pike
Lexington, KY United States 40505
- Black, W R
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Features: Tables;
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Bankruptcy; Branch lines; Governments; Legislation; Planning; Policy; Short line railroads; State departments of transportation; Subsidies
- Geographic Terms: Northeastern United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Government planning; Government policies; Regional rail reorganization act; Short line
- Subject Areas: Finance; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00128181
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1975 12:00AM