FORT BERTHOLD INDIAN RESERVATION BUS DEMONSTRATION PROJECT
A demonstration project was designed to develop and evaluate a transit system in a growing urban-rural Indian Region in Central North Dakota. Fort Berthold is a reservation of about 650 square miles, with an Indian population of approximately 2,774. The people reside mainly is five small towns. The distance from the main town to the most distant community is 110 miles. The primary concern of the project was to support the economic and social development of the entire region by interconnecting the various, and sometimes isolated communities with employment, commercial, medical, educational, and other centers of activity. An element of the project was to search for ways of incorporating all the transit services in the region into a package that would sustain the system at a point where it would become economically self-sufficient.
- Prepared by Crain and Associates, Menlo Park, Calif.
Three Affiliated TribesFort Berthold Indian Reservation
New Town, ND United States 58763
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
Crain and Associates120 Santo Margarita Avenue
Menlo Park, CA United States 94025
- CRAIN, J L
- Fitzgerald, P G
- Stoffel, F C
- Publication Date: 1974-1
- Pagination: 203 p.
- TRT Terms: Activity centers; Bus lines; Bus transportation; Demographics; Demonstration projects; Distance; Economic development; Households; Improvements; Indian reservations; Native Americans; Persons by socioeconomic levels; Questionnaires; Regional planning; Regional transportation; Small towns; Social factors; Social values; Standard of living; Systems analysis; Transportation; Transportation disadvantaged persons; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Disadvantaged persons; Social welfare
- Geographic Terms: North Dakota
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00093345
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., UMTA-ND-06-0001-75-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 16 1981 12:00AM