A MANUAL MODEL TO PREDICT HIGHWAY RELATED CARBON MONOXIDE CONCENTRATIONS
This paper is intended to present the derivation of the manual model used in predicting the region's highway related carbon monoxide concentrations and explain its use in predicting concentrations under different conditions. The model incorporates the variables of meteorology, involving both atmospheric stability and wind, vehicle mix by age and the associated vehicle miles traveled, vehicle type, distinguishing between light and heavy duty vehicles, carbon monoxide emissions by year modified by average link speed, traffic volume, measured for the peak hour and eight hour hourly average, and dispersion factors for both horizontal and vertical directions. With an accurate description of a facility's design, use characteristics and meteorological conditions, very accurate prediction of the carbon monoxide concentrations on or near the facility may be made. These variables and the derivation of the model are discussed in detail in the body of this paper, leading in logical order to the assembly and use of the model.
- Prepared in cooperation with Michigan State Dept. of State Highways and Transportation, Lansing.
Southeast Michigan Council of Governments1248 Washington Boulevard, 800 Book Building
Detroit, MI USA 48226
Washington, DC USA 20590
Michigan Department of State Highways & TransportState Highways Building, P.O. Drawer K
Lansing, MI USA 48904
- Doctor, D A
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Pagination: 43 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Anemometry; Carbon monoxide; Concentration (Chemistry); Dispersers; Exhaust gases; Forecasting; Heavy vehicles; Highway transportation; Mathematical models; Meteorology; Motor vehicles; Traffic volume; Wind
- Uncontrolled Terms: Concentration; Models
- Old TRIS Terms: Dispersing
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00093296
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: S-7501 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: MDSHT-74-0613
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 3 1976 12:00AM