ACCOMODATION OF UTILITY PLANT WITHIN THE RIGHTS OF WAY OF URBAN STREETS AND HIGHWAYS. MANUAL OF IMPROVED PRACTICE
The manual sets forth principles and practices under which utility facilities can be successfully accommodated within urban rights-of-way. These principles and practices can be characterized by five steps: (1) Enabling legislation to establish rights of local agencies to control use of the right-of-way; (2) provision of adequate staff and budget to protect the public's investment in its streets and highways; (3) establishment and implementation of adequate permit, inspection, and pavement restoration controls; (4) implementation of cooperation and coordination mechanisms and record systems among all major utilities; and (5) provision of accurate information to the field forces who excavate in the rights-of-way to allow them to work safely and protect existing utility plant. The manual and the companion report should be of valuable assistance to state and local highway agencies in cooperation with utility companies for making improvements to utility accommodation policies and practices.
- Also pub. as American Society of Civil Engineers, New York, Rept. no. ASCE Manual-14. Paper copy also available in set of 2 reports as PB-245 198-SET, PC$10.00.
New York, NY United States 10017-2398
Washington, DC United States 20590
Chicago, IL United States 60637
- Bert, K E
- Cohn, M M
- Hurst, W D
- Kuykendall, R
- Sullivan, R H
- Publication Date: 1974-7
- Pagination: 114 p.
- TRT Terms: City planning; Construction; Eminent domain; Facilities; Highways; Laws; Legislation; Licenses; Local government; Location; Management; Manuals; Municipal engineering; Pavements; Public utilities; Regulations; Right of way (Land); Standards; Traffic safety; Underground structures; Urban areas
- Old TRIS Terms: Facilities management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Highways; Law; Pavements; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00093293
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75- 9 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7850
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 3 1976 12:00AM