ACCOMODATION OF UTILITY PLANT WITHIN THE RIGHTS OF WAY OF URBAN STREETS AND HIGHWAYS. STATE OF THE ART
The report presents a technological background and factual practices upon which local agencies could build an effective, workable utility location program. Findings are based on in-depth, on-site interviews of 40 communities in the U.S. and Canada, a mail survey of 500 local agencies, of which 222 submitted replies, and the assistance and cooperation of representatives of all major utility associations, the American Society of Civil Engineers, and the Institute for Municipal Engineering of the American Public Works Association. It was found to be infeasible to recommend national standards for location of utilities due to the very large number of local and physical factors which influence location practices. Many examples of local standards are given. The report and the companion manual should be of valuable assistance to state and local highway agencies in cooperation with utility companies for making improvements to utility accommodation policies and practices.
- Paper copy also available in set of 2 reports as PB-245 198-SET, PC$10.00.
Chicago, IL United States 60637
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Bert, K E
- Cohn, M M
- Hurst, W D
- Kuykendall, R
- Sullivan, R H
- Publication Date: 1974-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 169 p.
- TRT Terms: City planning; Conduits; Construction; Construction projects; Eminent domain; Highway planning; Laws; Local government; Location; Pipelines; Public utilities; Regulations; Right of way (Land); Specifications; Standards; State of the art studies; Subways; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Underground conduits
- Old TRIS Terms: Subway construction
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Highways; Law; Pipelines; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00093292
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75- 8 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7850
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 3 1981 12:00AM