MARITIME GAS-COOLED REACTOR PROGRAM TECHNICAL FEASIBILITY STUDIES OF FABRICATION TECHNIQUES APPLICABLE TO THE MANUFACTURE OF HIGH-DENSITY BERYLLIA TUBES FOR POTENTIAL UTILIZATION IN THE MARITIME GAS-COOLED REACTOR
This report describes the results obtained in a development program for the Maritime Gas-Cooled Reactor (MGCR) program. The objective is to demonstrate the feasibility of several of several fabrication methods for producing beryllia tubes for potential use in the MGCR. The tubes are seven and one half feet in length with single or multi-hole tubes of which the outer configuration may be rectangular, square, hexagonal, or round. Preliminary studies utilizing extrusion, isostatic and cold axial pressing, and the slip casting of a beryllia, single-hole, hexagonal tube are discussed. As a result of the work a beryllia-beryllium sulfate-sodium silicate cement was developed, thus demonstrating the feasibility of joining multiple beryllia sections to form long structural beryllium-oxide elements. The extrusion method is potentially the most economical fabrication method, but it is accompanied by poor dimensional stability on firing. Modifications of apparatus and mix composition can be made to improve this. Additional work will be required before full length full size columns can be routinely produced for the prototype reactors.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number GA-2262.
General DynamicsQuincy, MA USA 02169
Brush Berryllium Company,
- Bielawski, C A
- Douglas, E A
- Theodore, J G
- Publication Date: 1960-6-30
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 50 p.
- TRT Terms: Design; Materials selection; Nuclear reactors; Radioactive materials
- Old TRIS Terms: Materials evaluation; Nuclear reactor design; Nuclear reactor materials
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026318
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: GA-2262 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: AT(04-3)-187
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 11 1973 12:00AM