RAIL PLANNING PROCEDURES REPORT
This report is a compilation of documentation on the methodologies of state rail planning in Wisconsin and Michigan which was specifically prepared for FRA for later input to a manual on state rail planning. These states subsequently are using their respective methodology in establishing their rail plans pursuant to the Federal assistance requirements of the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973 (PL 93-236). The report is structured so that the reader can go through the rail planning process and select for in-depth study, a step of particular interest. Initially, it focuses on goal development and constituency identification. Considerable attention is given to the collection, use and analysis of data relating to rail traffic and costs, and to the existing rail plant. The reader is given the option of two different approaches towards analyzing the prevailing problems endemic to light density branch lines. A thorough discussion of evaluating the need for rail passenger service is also included. Upon publication of manual on state rail planning, additional material on policy planning and implementation will be developed. There will also be current information on special problems such as urban rail relocation, yard and terminal consolidation, and state participation in rail safety. A detailed and comprehensive bibliography on rail planning will be included.
- This project was sponsored by FRA.
Madison, WI USA 53715
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Pagination: 196 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Branch lines; Data collection; Freight service; Passenger service; Planning; State departments of transportation; Transportation planning
- Geographic Terms: Michigan; Wisconsin
- Old TRIS Terms: Regional rail reorganization act
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00127845
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/RFA-40025-75 Res Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT FR 40025
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 29 1976 12:00AM