SUBSURFACE INVESTIGATION, SECTION E-002, GREENBELT ROUTE
Results are presented of 14 test pits made adjacent to the line of Section E002, on U Street and 14th Street N.W. in Northwest Washington, D.C., of the Washington Metropolitan Area Metro System. The purpose of the work was to provide information on the characteristics of existing building foundations for the design of underpinning or building protection in preparation for excavation of the subway in the streets. The report contains sketches illustrating the test pits, results of laboratory tests on hand-cut undisturbed samples, and a discussion of the general subsurface and foundation conditions.
- Sponsored in part by Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, D.C.
Mueser, Rutledge, Wentworth & JohnstonNew York, NY United States
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority950 l'Enfant Plaza, SW
Washington, DC United States 20006
De Leuw, Cather and CompanyL'Enfant Plaza North Building
Washington, DC United States
- Publication Date: 1975-8-14
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Building; Construction; Construction projects; Design; Excavation and tunneling; Excavations; Foundations; Geological events; Geological surveying; Laboratory tests; Pits; Rock mechanics; Routes; Soil mechanics; Structural supports; Subways; Surveys; Test holes; Transportation planning; Tunneling; Underground structures
- Non-Preferred Terms: Soil surveying; Subsurface investigations
- Identifier Terms: Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Underpinning
- Geographic Terms: Washington (District of Columbia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Foundations (Structures); Geological conditions; Subsurface explorations; Subway construction; Subway planning; Subway railways; Test pits
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00093092
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MRWJ-75-138, #14
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 3 1981 12:00AM