EMISSIONS FROM DIESEL AND STRATIFIED CHARGE POWERED CARS
A total of ten passenger cars, four powered by diesel engines, two by stratified charge gasoline engines, one by a stratified charge operating on gasoline and diesel fuel, two by control equipped conventional engines, and one powered by a gas turbine, have been subjected to a wide variety of emissions evaluations. The vehicles, all late model, low mileage, included a Nissan Datsun, a Mercedes 220D, a Peugeot 504D, an Opel Rekord 2100D, a standard Capri, a stratified charge (PROCO) Capri, a low emission prototype Ford LTD, the Texaco TCCS stratified charge powered Cricket operated on gasoline and on diesel fuel, a Honda CVCC stratified charge, and a Chrysler gas turbine car. All were 4-cylinder except the LTD and the gas turbine. Tailpipe emissions were measured by the 1975 light duty Federal Test Procedure for gaseous emissions. Smoke and fuel economy were also determined during this test cycle. Chassis dynamometer versions of the 1974 heavy duty diesel smoke and gaseous emissions tests were employed. Odor and related instrumental-chemical measurements were made under seven steady state and three acceleration conditions. The prototype diesel odor analytical system, developed under CRC contract, was applied to the exhaust from both diesel and gasoline engines. Its use as a predictive method of diesel odor was investigated. Noise measurements were taken by SAE driveby as well as under a variety of exterior-interior conditions. Comparisons of the results for all vehicles are by emission category. The emissions from the group of diesel cars are compared to the conventional gasoline, Ford PROCO, Texas TCCS, and Honda CVCC.
- See also PB-207 851.
Southwest Research InstituteDepartment of Automotive Research
San Antonio, TX United States
Environmental Protection AgencyEmission Control Technology Division, 2565 Plymounth Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48105
- SPRINGER, K J
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Pagination: 328 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Automobiles; Diesel engines; Dynamometers; Exhaust gases; Fuel consumption; Gas turbines; Gravimeters; Internal combustion engines; Measurement; Noise; Odors; Smoke; Spark ignition engines; Stratified charge engines; Testing; Tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Noise sound
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00093065
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SWRI-AR-975 Final Rpt., EPA/460/3-75/001a
- Contract Numbers: PH-22-68-23
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 3 1976 12:00AM