AN ANALYSIS OF THE DEMAND FOR BUS AND SHARED-RIDE TAXI SERVICE IN TWO SMALLER URBAN AREAS
This report is a study of the demand for the publicly owned, fixed-route, fixed-schedule bus service and the privately owned, demand-responsive transportation service in two smaller urban areas--Davenport, Iowa, and Hicksville, New York. The objectives of the report were to compare the travel patterns and markets of the bus and shared-ride taxi systems, to compare the travel patterns and markets of the shared-ride taxi systems in each study area, to analyze factors and circumstances underlying the choice of either the bus or the shared-ride taxi, and to measure the public sentiment toward each form of public transportation. Information was gathered through on-board surveys, mail surveys, home interviews, and dispatching records and drivers' logs maintained by the taxicab companies. Users as well as non-users of public transportation were interviewed. A bibliography is furnished. Appendices contain Customer Data Record, Vehicle Data Record, and the bus passenger, taxi passenger and household survey questionnaires.
- Paper copy also available in set of 6 reports as PB-245 099-SET, PC$27.00.
Knoxville, TN USA 37996-4133
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Middendorf, D P
- Heathington, K W
- Davis, FWJ
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Pagination: 312 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Bus transit; Buses; Data collection; Demand responsive transportation; Economic analysis; Level of service; Market research; Marketing; Mode choice; Passenger vehicles; Planning; Public opinion; Revenues; Surveys; Systems engineering; Taxicabs; Travel demand; Travel patterns; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity); Modal selection
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00093019
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., UMTA-TN-06-0004-75-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 18 1981 12:00AM