ECONOMIC CHARACTERISTICS OF PRIVATELY OWNED SHARED-RIDE TAXI SYSTEMS
The report presents an analysis of costs, revenues, and investment requirements associated with two privately owned, demand-responsive transportation systems in Davenport, Iowa, and Hicksville, New York. Objectives of this report were: (1) determination of the costs, revenues, ridership characteristics, and benefits of providing public transportation with two privately owned systems; (2) measurement of the economic viability of the different levels of service; and (3) determination of the economic feasibility of combining the transportation of goods and people into a single operation. Primary sources of taxi revenue are identified and driver and vehicle productivity are evaluated. The financial analysis of taxi operations includes both capital costs and operating expenses for each of the four operational areas (vehicles, garage, dispatching, and administrative). A generalized model for predicting shared-riding investment requirements is presented. A comparison of privately owned, shared-ride taxi systems and publicly owned dial-a-bus systems is offered on the basis of cost, investments and revenues.
- Paper copy also available in set of 6 reports as PB-245 099-SET, PC$27.00.
University of Tennessee, Knoxville203 Administration Building
Knoxville, TN USA 37996-0700
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Davis, FWJ
- Heathington, K W
- Symons, R T
- Griese, S C
- Alford, R W
- Publication Date: 1974-10
- Pagination: 117 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Costs; Demand responsive transportation; Economic analysis; Economic conditions; Economic impacts; Freight transportation; Investments; Level of service; Market research; Mathematical models; Passenger vehicles; Planning; Revenues; Ridership; Surveys; Systems engineering; Taxicabs; Transportation; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services; Transportation models
- Subject Areas: Economics; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00093018
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt., UMTA-TN-06-0004-74-2
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 18 1981 12:00AM