SHARED RIDE TAXI SYSTEMS: AN ANALYSIS IN SUMMARY
Two privately owned demand-responsive transportation systems, one in Davenport, Iowa, and the other in Hicksville, New York, were studied to determine the economic feasibility and marketability of these systems and the roles they play in small and medium-sized urban areas. The systems analyzed offer door-to-door service on a shared-ride basis using six-passenger automobiles. The overall objectives of the study were to: (1) Determine the cost, revenues, ridership, and other benefits of providing public transportation service with privately owned demand-responsive systems; (2) analyze the market demand for each level of service; (3) analyze the contribution of each level of service for providing mobility for specific segments of the urban community; (4) measure the economic viability of the different levels of service; (5) measure the demand for service as a function of level of service and pricing scheme; (6) determine the effectiveness of automatic scheduling and monitoring on system performance, costs, and revenues, if put into operation; and (7) determine the economic feasibility of these systems.
- Paper copy also available in set of 6 reports as PB-245 099-SET, PC$27.00.
Knoxville, TN USA 37996-4133
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Heathington, K W
- Davis, FWJ
- Griese, S C
- Middendorf, D P
- Brogan, J D
- Publication Date: 1973-8
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Costs; Demand responsive transportation; Economic analysis; Economic conditions; Economic impacts; Level of service; Market research; Marketing; Mobility; Passenger vehicles; Planning; Revenues; Ridership; Scheduling; Surveys; Taxicabs; Travel demand; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00093015
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-TN-06-0004-73-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 18 1981 12:00AM