ASSESSMENT OF PRESENT STATE OF KNOWLEDGE FOR UNSAFE TARGET DRIVING BEHAVIORS AND SAFE DRIVING CONFORMANCE COUNTERMEASURES APPROACHES-TASK 2 REPORT
The report assesses the state of present knowledge that relates to the development of a safe driving conformance program. Such a program requires information in two major areas: Target Driving Behaviors and Countermeasures. The procedure adhered to in the study was to first indicate the information requirements in both these areas. Then a literature review based on 257 sources was conducted to determine what is known. Finally, the information available was compared with the requirements to specify areas of deficit knowledge. Several tentative target driving behaviors were identified and a number of possible counter-measure programs were noted. A number of areas where sufficient information is lacking were noted. These include further development of data which can be used to develop target driving behaviors, further research on the basic attitudes and motivations which underlie driving behavior, development of information about the effect of laws and legal sanctions on driving behavior, identification of techniques to gain and implement support of local groups in countermeasures programs, and specification of appropriate detection levels of unsafe acts.
- See also PB-245 039.
Human Sciences Research IncorporatedWestgate Industrial Park
McLean, VA United States 22101
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hiett, R L
- Worrall, J W
- Brown, G L
- Witten, D L
- Publication Date: 1975-7
- Pagination: 272 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Behavior; Countermeasures; Crash injury research; Crash investigation; Crashes; Drivers; Law enforcement; Laws; Legal factors; Performance; Performance measurement; Prevention; Programming (Planning); Public participation; Research; Safety; State of the art studies; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Programs
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Society;
- Accession Number: 00093009
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: HSR-RR-75/1-We Final Rpt., DOT-HS-801-644
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-4-00988
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 18 1976 12:00AM