THE IMPACTS OF THE FEDERAL AID HIGHWAY PROGRAM ON STATE AND LOCAL HIGHWAY EXPENDITURES
The thesis investigates the impacts of the Federal Aid Highway Program on State and local highway expenditures. The research focuses on this issue from a national policy perspective. Several recent events have led to an increasing interest in restructuring the Federal role in highway finance, most notably the controversy surrounding the passage of the 1973 Federal Aid Highway Act and the debate over post-Interstate System highway policy. Accordingly, the motivation of the research is a consideration of the design and response of Federal Aid highway financing. The starting point is a review of the mechanics of State and Federal highway finance. Special attention is given to the unique aspects of the Federal Aid Highway Program (FAHP) and the attendant implications for empirical modelling. The thesis then proceeds to develop a theory of State highway expenditure behavior. The theoretical models suggest that for the Interstate program, Federal grants have stimulated state expenditures that would most likely have not been made.
- Prepared in cooperation with Department of Transportation, Washington, D.C. Office of Transportation Planning Analysis.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Civil Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Department of TransportationOffice of Transportation Planning Analysis, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- SHERMAN, L
- Publication Date: 1975-2
- Pagination: 472 p.
- TRT Terms: Budgeting; Econometric models; Expenditures; Federal aid; Financing; Grant aid; Highways; Impacts; Local government; Mathematical models; Policy; State government; Theory; Theses
- Identifier Terms: Federal Aid Highway Act
- Uncontrolled Terms: Federal financing programs; Models
- Old TRIS Terms: Econonometric models; Governmental expenditures
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00092991
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 18 1976 12:00AM