EVALUATION OF MINING CONSTRAINTS TO THE REVITALIZATION OF PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE
The objective of this research was to evaluate the technical and economic constraints on the extraction and utilization of anthracite coal and to determine the research and development needed in order to make anthracite coal more fully used as a premium energy resource. The report examines in detail the anthracite industry both past and present and evaluates market possibilities. Anthracite reserves and resources are analyzed and tabulated, and the problem of pumping and drainage from the flooded anthracite fields is covered. Current technology is considered in detail with a discussion of production techniques with potential for improvement. The contractor concludes the report with a summary of constraints on the anthracite industry and the contractor's recommendations for effecting a revitalization of that industry. An estimated production of 17 million tons annually by 1990 can be anticipated if adequate planning, research, and development to overcome present constraints are initiated in the near future.
- Prepared in cooperation with Reidel (A. B.) Associates, Harrisburg, Pa.
Berger AssociatesHarrisburg, PA United States
Bureau of MinesC Street Between 18th and 19th Streets, NW
Washington, DC United States 20241
Riedel (AB) AssociatesHarrisburg, PA United States
- Publication Date: 1975-3
- Pagination: 375 p.
- TRT Terms: Anthracite; Coal; Coal mining; Coal resources; Constraints; Demand; Drainage; Economic analysis; Economic development; Economic factors; Energy resources; Excavating equipment; Forecasting; Freight transportation; Geography; Geology; Labor market; Legislation; Marketing; Mines; Mining; Natural resources; Policy; Pumps; Transportation; Wastes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Mine wastes
- Geographic Terms: Pennsylvania
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic geology; Government policies; Mining equipment
- Subject Areas: Economics; Policy; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00092828
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Open Rpt., BUMines-OFR-47-75
- Contract Numbers: S0241039
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 5 1976 12:00AM