RAILROAD CLASSIFICATION YARD TECHNOLOGY: AN INTRODUCTORY ANALYSIS OF FUNCTIONS AND OPERATIONS
A review of the basic operating characteristics and functions of railroad classification yards is presented. Introductory descriptions of terms, concepts, and problems of railroad operations involving classification yards are included in an attempt to provide a "primer" on railroad yards. The report describes certain railroad operating practices and identifies problems that inhibit the efficient operation of railroad yards and the rail system of which they are a part. An extensive bibliography has been provided.
- This project was sponsored by Federal Railroad Administration, DOT.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Troup III, K F
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 134 p.
- TRT Terms: Bibliographies; Classification yards; Yard operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Classification yard operations; Operating strategies
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00127705
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-OR&D-75-55 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 3 1976 12:00AM