TYPE AND SIZES OF SHIP FOR GRAIN TRADING
The report examines the development within the grain trade over the last decade essentially from a shipping viewpoint. Consequently, the basic problems of erratic and uneven distribution of production are reviewed in Part I, primarily to place the demand for shipping services in a proper perspective, and more emphasis is placed upon the structure of the international grain market. Attention is focussed upon the major characteristics of the trade, which range from the role of Governments and their agencies to the dominance of the trade by a relatively small number of multi-national grain house. Past changes in the pattern of trade and the importance of the main exporting and importing zones are reviewed in Part II, presenting the relevant data on the Growth of the trade necessary for the indepth analysis of bulk vessel demand, which forms the subject of Part III. There are widespread limitations on the employment of large vessels, their minor role reflecting the nature of the trade, uncertainty over forward demand and the physical constraints impaces by ports and capacity of the cargo-handling devices and storage silos. Special emphasis is placed on the role of port facilities as a limitation on vessel employment, and in Part IV the principal ports shipping or receiving grain cargoes are closely examined. Discussion is centred upon the comprehensive data contained in the Appendix, which summarizes the results of an extensive survey conducted by the Consultants to establish the latest position.
Drewry (HP) (Shipping Consultants) LimitedPalladium House, 1-4 Argyll Street
London W1V 1AD, England
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Pagination: 61 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo; Bulk carriers; Dry bulk carriers; Economic analysis; Freight traffic; Grain; Ports; Shipping; Trend (Statistics)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Grain handling; Grain trade
- Old TRIS Terms: Grain loading
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00127690
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Drewry (HP) (Shipping Consultants) Limited
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 34 Econ Study
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 5 1975 12:00AM