NUCLEAR POWERED TANKER-DESIGN AND ECONOMIC ANALYSIS, PRESSURIZED WATER REACTOR
This report details a design and engineering study and economic evaluation of a nuclear propulsion system suitable for a large tanker which employs a pressurized water reactor. The objective in development of the reference conceptual design for the nuclear propulsion system is minimum total cost of cargo delivery per unit weight, consistent with safe and reliable operation. The suitability of the pressurized light water moderated and cooled reactor system to marine application lies in its demonstrated reliability and certain inherent safety features. All improvements in the reactor system were made within specified guidelines. Details are provided for reactor assembly, reactor plant, propulsion plant, ship description, plant operation and safeguards, design bases and alternative design considerations, design and construction schedule, costs, and research and development program. Related tables and diagrams including schematics are included.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number NYO-2860; CEND-62.
Combustion Engineering, IncorporatedNuclear Division
Windsor, CT United States
Sharp (George G) Incorporated30 Church Street
New York City, NY United States 10007
- Publication Date: 1960-1
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 483 p.
- TRT Terms: Design; Economics; Nuclear power; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors; Tanker shipping
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor design; Tanker economics
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026276
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: NYO-2860
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-1)-2379
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1973 12:00AM