A MEAN COST APPROXIMATION FOR TRANSPORTATION PROBLEMS WITH STOCHASTIC DEMAND
Among the many tools of the operations researcher is the transportation algorithm which has been used to solve a variety of problems ranging from shipping plans to plant location. An important variation of the basic transportation problem is the transportation problem with stochastic demand or stochastic supply. This paper presents a simple approximation technique which may be used as a starting solution for algorithms that determine exact solutions. The paper indicates that the approximation technique offered here is superior to a starting solution obtained by substituting expected demand for the random variables. (Author)
- Availability: Pub. in Naval Logistics Quarterly, v22 n1 p181-187 Mar 75.
Arizona Health Planning AuthorityPhoenix, AZ USA
- WILSON, D
- Publication Date: 1974
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Algorithms; Analysis; Approximation (Mathematics); Costs; Demand; Freight transportation; Logistics; Mathematical models; Operations research; Reprints; Stochastic processes; Transportation; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Boundaries; Cost analysis; Models
- Subject Areas: Economics; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00092694
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 5 1975 12:00AM