PROPOSED PROGRAM FOR MARITIME ADMINISTRATION RESEARCH VOLUME 1: SUMMARY
The U.S. merchant marine would benefit directly from a government and industry supported program of research and development. The principal aim of the research should be to assist in providing a strong U.S. maritime industry which can compete in the world market, with a minimum of subsidy, and can provide improved foreign and domestic shipping services. Concurrent efforts should also be directed toward improvements in regulatory requirements and labor-management relationships. Subsidy reduction can best be accomplished through a U.S. Maritime industry which obtains maximum productivity through efficient use of labor. The two developments that offer the most promise are crew size reduction through automation techniques and improved cargo handling systems. Savings can be realized in shipbuilding costs through simplification and standardization of design. The physical characteristics of ship designs, including speed, should be based on fleet-wide operational studies which delineate the ship's functional requirements. Immediate priority should be placed on the development of currently available technologies to increase the commercial competitiveness of the replacement fleet.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number MA-PROG-Vol-1. See MRIS-026274, Vol. 2.
National Academy of SciencesMaritime Research Advisory Committee
Washington, DC United States 20418
- Publication Date: 1960
- Features: Appendices; References;
- Pagination: 66 p.
- Volume: 1
- TRT Terms: Economics; Labor relations; Personnel management; Policy; Research management; Shipping
- Old TRIS Terms: R and d priorities; Shipping economics
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Marine Transportation; Policy; Research;
- Accession Number: 00026273
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Sum Rpt
- Contract Numbers: MA-1767
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1973 12:00AM