SCHOOL BUS SAFETY IMPROVEMENT PROGRAM. SUMMARY REPORT
The objective of the program was to develop an improved school bus structure and to evaluate safety, driver field of view, acceleration and passing, braking, and handling characteristics of typical school buses. Structural and accident avoidance tests were performed on two Baseline Buses. An Improved Bus was designed and two Improved Buses were fabricated for evaluation. Identical tests on the Improved Bus showed structural improvements of 33 to 57 percent were achieved with a cost increase of only $500 (4.5 percent) and a weight increase of only 530 pounds (3.9 percent). Acceleration and passing, braking, and handling tests showed that the added weight had not degraded performance in these areas. Based on these results, school bus structural standards and feasible compliance test procedures are recommended. Other recommendations are made for improved emergency egress, driver field of view, and handling test procedures.
- See also: Volume I, 189 pages, PB-244850/4ST; Volume II, 418 pages, PB-244851/2ST.
Ultrasystems, IncorporatedDynamic Science Division, 1850 West Pinnacle Peak Road
Phoenix, AZ United States 85027
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Boulay, P
- Davis, S
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 34 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceleration (Mechanics); Braking; Buses; Design standards; Dynamic tests; Field of vision; Handling characteristics; Improvements; Maneuverability; Passing; Prevention; Safety; Safety engineering; Safety equipment; School buses; Standards; Structural design; Testing; Vehicle design; Visibility
- Uncontrolled Terms: Field of view; Handling
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00092503
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DS-2310-74-138A Final Rpt., DOT-HS-801-615
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-046-3-694
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 5 1981 12:00AM