A DESIGN METHOD FOR HORIZONTALLY CURVED PLATE GIRDER BRIDGES
A procedure is presented for design of single-span horizontally curved plate girder bridges, suitable for structures consisting of three to eight girders with span lengths from 50 to 200 ft. Radii are restricted to 150 through 2000 ft, with central angle permitted in the range of 0.05 to 0.50 rad. The procedure has been integrated into a beam design program requiring only fundamental geometric and load information to produce the design of all girders of the curved system. A planar grid analysis routine previously verified by field test results was used to analyze completed designs. It is concluded that preliminary design of structures with central angles less than 0.2 rad can be used as final design without analysis. Designs for structures with central angles exceeding 0.2 rad are adequate for strength, but should be analyzed for deflection and shear.
Albany, NY USA 12232
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Beal, D B
- Ruby, J G
- Publication Date: 1975-7
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Angularity; Bridge design; Bridge superstructures; Bridges; Computer programs; Curvature; Deflection; Design; Girder bridges; Girders; Highway bridges; Loads; Shear strength; Shear stress; Stresses; Structural design; Structural engineering; Structural members
- Uncontrolled Terms: Bridge spans
- Old TRIS Terms: Angles (Geometry)
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00092501
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NYSDOT-ERD-75-RR-30 Res. Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Nov 5 1976 12:00AM