MERCHANT SHIP AUTOMATION DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
Certain items of equipment required to partially automate a Mariner C4-S-la dry cargo vessel for navigation, collision avoidance, course deviation, automatic operation of the engine room and ship's machinery and dock operations are described. A partially automated ship is defined as having a minimum crew of 10-12 men. The crew's function is primarily for emergency action and necessary repairs that cannot wait until port. Ship controls are to be as automatic as practical. Cost estimates of development of items described are presented independently of this report.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number UAC-ND-262-R-0002.
United Aircraft CorporationNorden Division
Norwalk, CT United States
- Clayton, C T
- Publication Date: 1960-7-12
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Automation; Ships; Voyage management systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Ship automation
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026260
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UAC-ND-262-R-0002 Prog Rpt
- Contract Numbers: MA-2228
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 14 1973 12:00AM