EVALUATING TRANSIT SERVICE TO MINORITIES
This report describes a computerized evaluation methodology for analyzing the fair distribution of transit services. The report is of specific interest to the Office of Civil Rights, Urban Mass Transportation Administration, which is charged with evaluating compliance with Civil Rights standards during a review prior to the awarding of a capital grant in Urban Mass Transportation. It may be used to analyze the fairness of transit services provided to the elderly, to females, or to any desired interest group. The report is also of interest to transit planning agencies, and is useful in analyzing the geographic and socio-economic distributing of transit services in a metropolitan area. A model is formulated upon the concept of accessibility to opportunities, and produces accessibility indices of transit service for small geographic zones. The indices measure the percentage of opportunities available to residents of each zone via the transit system. A computer model is produced that is compatible with current U.T.P.S. programs and it uses these programs to develop input data. Capabilities of the model to analyze accessibility conditions and produce output reports are illustrated by data from the City of Richmond, Virginia. The computer program is included in the appendix and it is thoroughly described in the User's Manual. /Author/
- Available from NTIS, PB-253041/8ST. Transportation Administration Office of Civil Rights.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, BlacksburgDepartment of Agronomy
Blacksburg, VA United States 24061
- Popper, R J
- Connelly, M D
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 102 p.
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Aged; Computer programs; Evaluation; Level of service; Mathematical models; Metropolitan areas; Minorities; Socioeconomic factors; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models; Services
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00127574
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-VA-09-0013 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 10 1982 12:00AM