ULTIMATE LOAD BEHAVIOR OF FULL-SCALE HIGHWAY TRUSS BRIDGES: PHASE I. ULTIMATE LOAD TESTS OF THE HUBBY BRIDGE, BOONE COUNTY
As a result of the construction of the Saylorville Dam and Reservoir on the Des Moines River, six highway bridges crossing the river were scheduled for removal. One of these, an old pinconnected high-truss single-lane bridge, was selected for a testing program which included ultimate load tests. The purpose of the ultimate load tests, which are summarized in this report, was to relate design and rating procedures presently used in bridge design to the field behavior of this type of truss bridge. The ultimate load tests consisted of ultimate load testing of one span of the bridge, of two I-shaped floorbeams, and of two panels of the timber deck. The theoretical capacity of each of these components is compared with the results from the field tests.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/ERI11185
- Prepared in cooperation with Iowa State Highway Commission, Ames. See also NTIS PB-249021/AS.
Iowa State University, AmesEngineering Experiment Station
Ames, IA United States 50011
Washington, DC United States 20590
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyArtificial Intelligence Laboratory
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
- Sanders Jr, W W
- Klaiber, F W
- Elleby, H A
- Timm, L W
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Pagination: 104 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Behavior; Breaking loads; Bridge decks; Bridge design; Bridges; Construction; Design; Field tests; Highway bridges; I beams; Iron; Loads; Panels; Physical properties; Ratings; Steel; Structural design; Test procedures; Testing; Theory; Truss bridges
- Uncontrolled Terms: Wrought iron
- Geographic Terms: Des Moines River; Iowa
- Old TRIS Terms: Steel construction
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00092460
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- ISBN: ERI-1118-5
- Report/Paper Numbers: ISU-ERI-AMES-75101 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 5 1976 12:00AM