FABRICATION OF A STANDARD BENCH VEHICLE SEAT. VOLUME I. BASIC REPORT. APPENDIXES A AND B
This report discusses the development of a standard bench seat for the testing of child restraint systems based on the configuration and performance parameters of the 1974 Chevrolet Impala production bench seat. Both static and dynamic characteristics of the production seat were modeled into the frame deformation and foam stiffness of the standard seat, and impact sled tests were conducted on each using a representative sample of child restraint systems to provide direct comparison between the two seats. The standard seat was shown to be a durable, repeatable test platform for child restraints that provided reasonable simulation of the production seat. Its economic breakeven point occurs when more than four new production bench seats are required for testing. Child restraint tests on the standard seat tend to give slightly lower head and chest peak resultant acceleration, HIC and Severity Index values and, in some cases larger head excursion values than comparable tests with the production seat.
- Paper copy also available in set of 3 reports as PB-244 595-SET, PC$15.00.
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Stalnaker, R
- BENSON, J B
- Melvin, J W
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 74 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Children; Crash injury research; Crashes; Data collection; Dynamic tests; Equipment tests; Information organization; Information processing; Manual safety belts; Methodology; Performance evaluations; Research; Safety engineering; Seats; Simulation; Static tests; Traffic crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data reliability; Motor vehicle accidents
- Old TRIS Terms: Platforms; Test equipment
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00092434
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UM-HSRI-BI-74-5-1 Final Rpt., DOT-HS-801-384
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-4-00865
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 5 1976 12:00AM