RECREATION ACCESS STUDY
This study was conducted from the perspective of the user, to learn the role which transportation plays in recreation decisions, and from the perspective of the recreation area, to see how current access affects the areas. An inventory of regionally significant recreation resources under the jurisdiction of Federal and State governments was developed. In examining access to sample of these recreation areas, the following recurrent problems were identified: congestion at approaches to recreation sites at peak times; inadequate internal circulation systems; lack of adequate public transportation access; haphazard private development; and degradation of the physical environment with overaccommodation of the heavy reliance on private automobiles. In accordance with current energy, environmental, and economic concerns, several recommendations, none of which involve new legislation or or new programs, are made. Briefly, these recommendations are directed toward the following objectives: increased attention by transit operators to opportunities to provide routes, schedules, and marketing efforts to increase recreational tripmaking by transit; reduction of Federal, State, and local regulations which impede efficient, profitable, and attractive transportation service by motor bus operators and other private interests; and development by land management and recreation agencies of investment and management practices which foster alternatives to auto access.
Office of the Secretary of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1975-8-22
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Access; Bus transportation; Energy; Environmental impacts; Investments; Management; Marketing; Private transportation; Public transit; Recreational facilities; Recreational roads; Traffic congestion
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Environment; Highways; Motor Carriers; Public Transportation; Research; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00127467
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 18 1981 12:00AM