AN ULTIMATE STRENGTH ANALYSIS TECHNIQUE FOR CROSS-STIFFENED BULKHEADS UNDER COMBINED INPLANE BENDING AND SHEAR
An analytical method is presented for evaluating the ultimate strength of cross-stiffened bulkheads under combined inplane bending and shear associated with collapse in the panel mode, the case of a general collapse not being considered. The method and the related computer program should be useful to the designer for evaluating the margin of safety against bulkhead collapse under high-shear-low moment conditions. The analysis includes a calculation of the buckling and tension field, postbuckling, strength contributions of the unstiffened plate components in a bulkhead panel and a discussion of the effect on panel strength of premature stiffener buckling.
David Taylor Naval Ship R&D CenterBethesda, MD United States 20084
- Critchfield, M O
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Buckling; Bulkheads (Ships); Stiffened plates; Strength of materials; Structural analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulkhead structural analysis; Strength analysis
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00127445
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NSRDC-4611
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 18 1975 12:00AM