RAILROAD REORGANIZATION AND FEDERAL AID: THE CONRAIL PROPOSALS
This Issue Brief discusses the seven bankrupt railroads in the Northeast and Midwest subject to reorganization under the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973. With estimated Federal costs of $5 to $18 billion over a 10-year period, Congress must also decide whether, to what extent, and in what ways there will be future Federal financial participation in the U.S. Railroad industry. This paper has the following sections: Issue Definition; Background and Policy Analysis; Legislation; Hearings; Reports and Congressional Documents; Other Congressional Action; Chronology of Events; Additional Reference Sources.
Library of CongressCongressional Research Service
Washington, DC USA 20540
- COLE, L M
- Publication Date: 1975-9-25
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Bankruptcy; Legislation; Policy; Subsidies
- Identifier Terms: Conrail
- Old TRIS Terms: Government policies; Regional rail reorganization act
- Subject Areas: Finance; Law; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00127380
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: IE75073
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 5 1975 12:00AM