HEALTH PHYSICS REQUIREMENTS FOR NUCLEAR SERVICING FACILITIES
Recommendations for a Health Physics Department in a shipyard devoted to the construction and repair of nuclear-powered ships are outlined. Requirements are provided for personnel, space, and facilities, and procedures are outlined for area surveys before and after criticality, record keeping, daily routine and education. Personnel instructions for radiological safety cover radiation control; handling of contaminated and radioactive materials; procedures and responsibilities for the decontamination of personnel, areas, and equipment; methods for protecting personnel against radiation hazards while fighting fires in radioactive areas; preventive measures and responsibilities when a skin injury occurs in a suspected area of contamination; contaminated tag and radioactive spill procedures; and personnel responsibilities in radiation zones.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number SPD-60-024.
General DynamicsQuincy, MA United States 02169
- Publication Date: 1960-2-29
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References;
- Pagination: 55 p.
- TRT Terms: Maintenance; Nuclear powered ships; Radiation doses; Shipyards; Structural design; Training
- Old TRIS Terms: Radiological safety; Shipyard design
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00026232
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: SPD-60-024
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-3)-338
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1973 12:00AM