TRAUMA AS A FUNCTION OF FORCES AND ACCELERATIONS IN COLLISIONS
All suitable frontal force accident cases in the United States involving 1968 to 1971 full size "b" body General Motors vehicles were reviewed to provide a data bank of accident case data for susequent comparison with experimental data derived from a vehicle having the same body style. Forty-eight cases were selected consisting of sixty-five occupants. Injury data in terms of the Abbreviated Injury Scale (AIS) was classified according to Barrier Equivalent Velocity (BEV) of the accident vehicles based upon vehicle deformation. The experimental program recorded reactions of anthropomorphic dummy occupants under collision conditions simulating accident cases in which the injury occurred. Injury criteria obtained from dummy occupants in the experimental program were compared with injuries sustained in vehicle accidents under the same barrier equivalent velocity. Comparison of the results provided an injury measure as a function of Barrier Equivalent Velocity and injury indices (HJC), the Gadd Chest Severity Index, and Chest Injury Criterion of 60G max/with a three millisecond exclusion). Equations were derived relating injury, barrier equivalent velocity, and injury criteria. The paucity of data precluded a high confidence level statistical analysis, but does provide a base for comparing injury with accident velocity and injury criteria parameters.
- Sponsored by Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association.
Wayne State UniversityCollege of Engineering
Detroit, MI USA 48202
- PATRICK, L M
- Publication Date: 1974-3-15
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 115 p.
- TRT Terms: Anthropometry; Automobiles by type; Crash injury research; Crash investigation; Dummies; Head on collisions; Injuries
- Uncontrolled Terms: Experimental data; Vehicle make
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00127314
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Safety Council Safety Research Info Serv
- Report/Paper Numbers: MVMA-WSU-7404
- Contract Numbers: MVMA-WSU-7101-C19
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 21 1976 12:00AM