TRUCK NOISE IV-B IDENTIFYING THE SOURCES OF NOISE ON A HEAVY DUTY, DIESEL TRUCK
Truck noise is a complex interaction of many noise sources which can be individually studied using a technique referred to as Noise Source Identification. During Source Identification, all known or suspected noise sources are artificially silenced except the one being studied. Using this technique, it was shown that the total vehicle noise of 88 dB(A) was caused primarily by the cooling system noise (86 dB(A)), the exhaust system noise (83 dB(A)) and the engine (78 dB(A)). Also identifiable were the intake system noise (74 dB(A)), the transmission noise (71 dB(A)) and all other noise sources (mostly tires at 64 dB(A)). Generally, each of the noise sources reaches its maximum noise output at a different location during the drive-by test; in fact, different sources were predominant during different portions of the drive-by. In order to achieve the program goal of 78 dB(A) for the overall truck with the use of an engine enclosure, it is necessary to reduce the noise level of each of the five major sources to approximately 71 dB(A).
- See also report no. 3, PB-234 501.
International Harvester CompanyTruck Engineering Center
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States 46801
Office of Noise Abatement400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Shrader, J T
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Pagination: 87 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Air intakes; Cooling; Cooling systems; Diesel engines; Diesel trucks; Emission control systems; Engines; Exhaust gases; Gears; Identification systems; Noise; Noise control; Sound level; Test procedures; Tires; Traffic noise; Transmissions; Trucks
- Uncontrolled Terms: Identification; Noise reduction; Sources
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Engine noise; Gear noise; Truck noise
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00092319
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 2, DOT/TST-75-109
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-20222
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 5 1976 12:00AM