CALCULATIONS OF STRUCTURAL ADEQUACY FOR CRITICAL AREAS OF THE MARVEL SCHEBLER DESIGNED CONTROL ROD DRIVE MECHANISM FOR NS SAVANNAH
Control rod drive mechanisms, electrically driven rotating nuts and translating screws, effect motion of the nuclear reactor's control rods to fulfill externally imposed power-demand and safe-reactor signals. Calculations for the M-S control rod drive mechanism were made according to Marine Engineering Regulations and Fired Pressure Vessel Code specifications. Thread stresses for threaded connections and bolts were computed utilizing Federal Screw Thread Standards. Detailed calculations and supporting information pertaining to the pressure boundary, stator water jacket, and drive line, show that this mechanism meets or exceeds applicable structural and safety rules and specifications.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number B-6-C.
Borg-Warner CorporationMarvel-Schebler Products Division
Decatur, IL USA
- Publication Date: 1960-2-28
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 127 p.
- TRT Terms: Control systems; Nuclear power plants; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors; Structural analysis
- Uncontrolled Terms: Structural properties
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor control systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026226
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-1)-2478
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1973 12:00AM