PERFORMANCE EVALUATION, MARITIME LOOP IRRADIATION PROGRAM, SAVANNAH 1 FUEL IRRADIATION
Results are presented of an investigation to determine the nuclear, hydraulic, and thermal operating conditions for the N.S. Savannah fuel prototype which will be irradiated in the General Electric Test Reactor Boiling Water Loop. The irradiation will serve as a proof test of the fuel rods under reference nuclear and plant operating conditions. All values are within the limitations specified by the test assembly manufacturer with the exception of the 80 F temperature gradient across the fuel clad thickness. The result of thermal flux calculations performed to confirm the design requirements for the irradiation of the NMSR-GETR test assembly indicated that a peak heat flux of 300,000 Btu/hr/ft could be attained using zircalogy for the shroud can and installing a flux window to minimize the amount of moderating water between the test facility test section and the reactor pressure vessel. Studies indicate sufficient bypass flow is provided to prevent boiling in the area between the outside of the shroud can and the pressure tube surrounding the test assembly and shroud can, and a burn-out ratio of 2 or greater is maintained. Calculations were performed to determine both the axial and radial temperature profiles of the fuel elements at various velocities.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number G-4-P.
General ElectricMarine Turbine & Gear Engineer, 1100 Western Ave
Lynn, MA United States 01910
- Marburger, I L
- HOWELL, D W
- Liffengren, D J
- Worthington, J T
- Meukow, J W
- Publication Date: 1960-12-15
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 65 p.
- TRT Terms: Fuel elements; Fuel systems; Nuclear fuels; Nuclear powered ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor fuel elements
- Subject Areas: Energy; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026223
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Contract Numbers: AT(04-3)-189
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1973 12:00AM