STUDY OF THE AXIAL EXPANSION CHARACTERISTICS OF UO2 CONTAINED AND IRRADIATED IN 304 SS TUBING AS DETERMINED BY A NON-DESTRUCTIVE EXAMINATION OF THE NS SAVANNAH 2-1 FUEL ASSEMBLY
The results are reported of a study to determine the "hot" end plenum available in N.S. Savannah Core 2 fuel rods during irradiation as compared with the initial end plenum as fabricated and the final end plenum following irradiation. The experimental data used was obtained from a non-destructive examination of a 9-rod, 304 SS clad, fuel assembly N.S. Savannah 2-1. The results are expressed in terms of end plenum lengths for three conditions of the fuel segments: pre-irradiation, during irradiation, and post-irradiation. It is concluded that the UO2 pellet column does not move upward into the initial end plenum of the fuel segment during irradiation of the fuel assembly; and there is no axial expansion of the UO2 pellet column relative to the 304 stainless steel tubing. There is also evidence of the end plenum being longer during the "hot" condition than initially, which suggests the possibility that the UO2 is experiencing densification or a fusing together of the pellets due to the high temperatures reached during irradiation. Photographs of the fuel assembly and a trace of the gamma traverse are included in the memorandum.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number G-4-S.
General ElectricMarine Turbine & Gear Engineer, 1100 Western Ave
Lynn, MA United States 01910
- Baird, R K
- McClelland, R F
- Publication Date: 1960-3-22
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Fuel elements; Fuel systems; Nuclear fuels; Nuclear powered ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor fuel elements
- Subject Areas: Energy; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026222
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Tech Rpt
- Contract Numbers: AT(04-3)-189
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1973 12:00AM