STUDIES IN RAILROAD OPERATIONS AND ECONOMICS. VOLUME 13. COSTING IN RAILROAD OPERATIONS: A PROPOSED METHODOLOGY
The report identifies, evaluates and recommends criteria for the application of economic analysis in areas relating to data and information requirements in railroad freight operations. The demonstrated need for a more consistent and comprehensive application of this analysis resulted in the accumulation of additional data from which cost functions were estimated which might be used by railroad managements and government agencies as a basis for subsequent policy decisions. This research which was conducted at both interfirm and intrafirm levels of analysis produced a set of models calibrated from selected data encompassed in a matrix which were used to estimate production functions and appropriate long run cost functions. These models hopefully will provide valuable assistance to railroad companies as additional sources of information regarding the cost performance of their operation.
- See also Volume 12, PB-244 129, and Volume 15, PB-244 131.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyTransportation Systems Division
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
Washington, DC USA 20590
- KNEAFSEY, J T
- Publication Date: 1975-3
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Cost engineering; Costs; Data processing; Economic analysis; Economic factors; Freight forwarders; Freight traffic; Freight trains; Freight transportation; Industry structure; Information systems; Management; Mathematical models; Policy; Railroad traffic; Railroad transportation; Railroads; Reliability; Scheduling
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Freight forwarding; Government policies; Management policies; Operating strategies
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00092238
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MIT-R75-15 Final Rpt., FRA/RPD-75/1.12
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-10006
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 18 1976 12:00AM