A PERFORMANCE SURVEY OF CONTINUOUSLY REINFORCED CONCRETE PAVEMENTS IN TEXAS
The structural performance of continuously reinforced concrete pavements in the State of Texas has become a matter of great importance to administrators since about 3000 miles of 24-foot wide pavement of this type have been built in the last fourteen years. This report concerns itself with the condition survey and the analysis of the data in the wide field of possible strategies. The survey form developed made a survey from an automobile, travelling on the shoulder of the pavement, possible. A two-man team was used to cover around 12 miles per day. A statistical analysis, based on the rating of three teams on single pavement sections, allows control of the quality of rating. Several ways of analysis of the data are discussed, some of which are plots of distress as surveyed by the teams, a summary statistic in the form of a histogram and the possibility of calculating a single figure depicting distress by assigning weights to each category of distress. This figure is defined as distress index in this report. Research into the relative importance of each type of distress is started on in the report. This will assist in compiling the distress index as well as in the assessment of important distress manifestations in the pavement from a maintenance point of view since an early prevention of distress may prevent subsequent failures. It is concluded that the survey form serves a useful purpose and that the survey results are useful in design, maintenance, and research.
- Sponsored by Texas State Dept. of Highways & Transp. and FHWA.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Highway Research, 200 West 21st Street
Austin, TX USA 78712
- McCullough, B F
- Strauss, P J
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 131 p.
- TRT Terms: Continuously reinforced concrete pavements; Data collection; Defects; Pavement design; Pavement distress; Pavement maintenance; Pavement performance; Pavements; Statistical analysis; Surveys
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00127208
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: RR 21-1F Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 3-8-74-21
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1975 12:00AM