STUDIES IN RAILROAD OPERATIONS AND ECONOMICS. VOLUME 2. RAIL TRIP TIME RELIABILITY: EVALUATION OF PERFORMANCE MEASURES AND ANALYSIS OF TRIP TIME DATA
After evaluating alternative measures within a logistics framework, this report recommends two measures of reliability, the maximum percentage of cars whose trip times fall in a consecutive two or three day period of the trip time distribution (the 2- or 3-day%) and the percentage of cars arriving after this period (the %-late). Nevertheless, a dialogue with shippers is necessary before the most appropriate measures can be determined for a specific situation. Using these measures, origin-to-destination (O-D) data for three railroads are analyzed to discover the nature of O-D reliability. Although yard classifications are found to affect reliability much more than does distance, detailed train information is necessary to predict the nature of this impact for a particular O-D pair. Reducing the number of classifications or improving yard operations will improve both reliability and mean trip times.
- See also Volume 1, PB-244 118, and Volume 3, PB-244 120.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyTransportation Systems Division
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Martland, C D
- Publication Date: 1972-6
- Pagination: 110 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Economic factors; Freight cars; Freight forwarders; Freight trains; Freight transportation; Railroad cars; Railroad terminals; Railroad transportation; Railroads; Reliability; Traffic delays; Traffic managers; Train operation; Yard operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Shippers
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Freight forwarding; Freight shippers
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00092227
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MIT-R72-37 Final Rpt., FRA/RPD-75/1.1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-10006
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 18 1976 12:00AM