STATE-OF-THE-ART CAR DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM FINAL TEST REPORT. VOLUME I. COMPONENT TESTING
The Urban Rapid Rail Vehicle and Systems Program is an integrated development program directed toward improving high speed, frequent-stop urban rail systems. The overall objective is to enhance the attractiveness of rail transportation to the urban traveler by providing service that is as comfortable, reliable, safe and economical as possible. The objective of the State-of-the-Art Car (SOAC) is to demonstrate the best state-of-the-art in rapid rail car design, with two improved cars using existing proven technology. Primary goals for the cars are passenger convenience and operating efficiency. This document, Volume 1 of the SOAC Final Test Report, presents the test results of the component testing of the State-of-the-Art car. The purpose of these tests was to show compliance with the SOAC Detail Specification (NTIS PB-225 934). All component tests were conducted by the supplier of the applicable subsystems. An introduction, test procedures and results, and conclusions are presented. Appendices are titled: Propulsion, Dynamic Braking and Auxiliary Power Equipment; Truck Frame; Truck Bolster; Windshield; Seat Strength; and Materials - Fire Resistance.
- See also Volume 2, PB-244 048. Paper copy also available in set of 5 report as PB-244 047-SET, PC$26.00.
Boeing Vertol CompanySurface Transportation Systems Department, P.O. Box 16858
Philadelphia, PA United States 19142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1974-8
- Pagination: 291 p.
- TRT Terms: Brakes; Design; Development; Documents; Engines; Fire prevention; Fires; Light rail vehicles; Materials; Motors; Passenger cars; Passenger comfort; Passenger transportation; Performance tests; Propulsion; Railroad cars; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Research; Safety; Seats; Tests; Transportation planning; Urban transportation; Vehicle design; Vehicle power plants; Windshields
- Identifier Terms: State of the Art Car (Rapid transit car)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Propulsion systems; Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Braking systems; Passenger car design; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Materials; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00092216
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: D174-10024-1, UMTA-IT-06-0026-74-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-10007
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 18 1981 12:00AM