LUBRICATION REQUIREMENTS OF NUCLEAR-POWERED SURFACE VESSELS
The lubrication requirements of nuclear powered surface vessel designs are surveyed, and areas needing additional investigation are identified. An engineering approach is made to the study, since lubrication cannot be separated from power or propulsion system design. A literature review was made in the areas of reactor design, radiation stability of lubricants, and the lubrication of major components of nuclear-powered surface vessels. It is indicated that the lubrication problems associated with nuclear power and ship propulsion systems are not unlike those encountered in conventional systems, with the exception of environmental factors due to the presence of radiation stresses and operations in unusual atmospheres (coolants). Areas found to need study are the interactions of environment and radiation on lubricants, and realistic primary coolant leakage requirements, and radiation stability. It is recommended that future nuclear heat source designs establish dose rates and dose targets for the lubricated machine elements. Other recommendations include early design specification of loads, speeds, temperatures, radiation levels, environmental atmospheres, metallurgy, and leakage requirements.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number ESSO-MA-4.
Esso Research and Engineering CompanyProducts Research Division, PO Box 51
Linden, NJ USA
- Okrent, E H
- Publication Date: 1959-8-1
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 63 p.
- TRT Terms: Environmental impacts; Lubricants; Lubrication; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactor coolants; Nuclear reactors; Operations; Radiation hazards; Research
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor operation; Radiation effects
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Environment; Marine Transportation; Research;
- Accession Number: 00026203
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: ESSO-MA-4
- Contract Numbers: MA-1814
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 13 1973 12:00AM