NS SAVANNAH FUEL DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM. PHYSICS METHODS CHECK AND COMPARATIVE POWER CORE ANALYSIS
Physics methods check and comparative power core analysis for the N.S. Savannah fuel development program are presented. The data is based on an 8-week physics study program which examined experimental data from General Electric physics models, and compared estimated nuclear performance of the Babcock and Wilcox first power core with the General Electric second load replacement fuel. Extrapolation from experimental data to the first power core, using General Electric Methods, is then compared in certain areas to Babcock and Wilcox first core estimates. Calculation of critical loadings of critical assemblies indicate that the General Electric methods are generally accurate. Comparison of the first and second fuel loads indicate that the General Electric fuel will require about 0.2 percent less fuel enrichment to achieve the same performance as the first core, due to certain mechanical differences in the second load fuel design which decreased the steel content of the core. It is recommended that if enrichment of the second core fuel is specified on the basis of the mechanical changes only, then reactivity of the core may be adjusted to cover the possible errors by the addition of poison to the core to lower reactivity, or switching fuel zones to increase reactivity if necessary.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number GEAP-3152.
General ElectricMarine Turbine & Gear Engineer, 1100 Western Ave
Lynn, MA United States 01910
- Brammer, H A
- Publication Date: 1959-4-16
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactor cores; Nuclear reactors; Operations; Radioactivity
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor operation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026199
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: GEAP-3152
- Contract Numbers: AT(04-3)-189
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 13 1973 12:00AM