NS SAVANNAH FUEL DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM. PRELIMINARY SUMMARY OF IRRADITION TESTS CONDUCTED ON NS SAVANNAH CORE 2 TYPE ASSEMBLIES 2-2 AND 2-3 IN VBWR
A preliminary summary is presented of irradiation tests of N.S. Savannah Core 2 type assemblies 2-2 and 2-3 which aimed at providing additional experimentally determined data for setting final design parameters for Core 2 production fuel. Parameters including uranium dioxide pellet-to-tubing clearances, pellet quality, fabrication processes, and dimensional stability were studied. The two fuel assemblies of nine rods, each consisting of half-inch diameter uranium dioxide pellets contained in stainless steel type 304 tubing, were operated in the Vallecitos Boiling Water Reactor and irradiated for varying periods of time to observe both short- and medium-term effects when operated under conditions at and above Core 2 design limiting conditions. Partial data is presented on the fabrication, irradiation and post-irradiation examination, and results are given but are subject to change and further interpretation upon completion of the work. Sufficient evidence is available, however, to indicate substantial confidence in Core 2 design adequacy.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number GEAP-3248.
General ElectricMarine Turbine & Gear Engineer, 1100 Western Ave
Lynn, MA United States 01910
- Baird, R K
- Arterburn, J O
- Brandt, F A
- Spalaris, C N
- Publication Date: 1959-9-25
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactor cores; Radiation monitoring
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026198
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: GEAP-3248
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 13 1973 12:00AM