AIRPORT SURFACE TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT ANALYSIS - EXPANDED
A previous MITRE Technical Report, Airport Surface Traffic Control Systems Deployment Analysis, FAA-RD-74-6, presented an analysis of ASTC (Airport Surface Traffic Control) system requirements and developed estimates of the deployment potential of proposed ASTC system alternatives for 19 air carrier airports. The primary requirement was determined to be improved surveillance which resulted in an estimated deployment of one of two surveillance systems at 16 airports by 1980. This report presents an expansion of that deployment analysis to include a total of 39 air carrier airports. The methods and assumptions for the deployment analysis of the 20 airports presented in this report are essentially the same as in the initial report. The overall result of the analysis is that by the initial deployment date (1976-1980) of the two alternative surveillance systems, the total potential market will be for 20-25 systems. By the end of the century, the total potential market for ASTC surveillance systems will exceed 30.
- See also report dated Jan 74, AD-773 699.
Mitre CorporationWestgate Research Park
McLean, VA United States 22101
Washington, DC United States
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Bales, R A
- Koetsch, J F
- Publication Date: 1975-3
- Pagination: 115 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control facilities; Airlines; Airport capacity; Airport control towers; Airport operations; Airport runways; Airport surface traffic control; Airports; Analysis; Aviation safety; Benefits; Costs; Deployment; Information display systems; Plan position indicators; Radar; Search radar; Surveillance; Taxiways; Terminal air traffic control; Traffic; Visibility; Weather
- Uncontrolled Terms: Airspace capacity; Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Air traffic control terminal; Airport radar systems
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Finance; Operations and Traffic Management; Pavements; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00092175
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-75-51 Final Rpt
- Contract Numbers: DOT/TSC-RA-73-11
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 18 1981 12:00AM