FAA JT3D QUIET NACELLE RETROFIT FEASIBILITY PROGRAM. VOLUME II. UPPER GOAL GROUND TESTING
The Phase 2 quiet nacelle for JT3D powered 707 aircraft is identical to the Phase 1 quiet nacelle in that it retains a two-ring acoustically treated inlet, hydraulically powered fan thrust reverser and 3/4 length acoustically treated fan ducts integral with the side cowl. The Phase 2 nacelle, however, differs from the Phase 1 nacelle in that a plug nozzle replaces the conventional conical nozzle. Both configurations retain the standard 707 primary thrust reverser. Boeing funded model and full scale ground tests were performed to provide insight and technical background relating to acoustic and propulsion performance of plug nozzles. The information thus obtained was used in the design of the full scale hardware. Full scale engine ground tests were performed on two configuration of the Phase 2 upper goal quiet nacelle to determine its acoustic and propulsion performance and to permit comparison with the performance of the Phase 1 nacelle.
- See also Volume 1, AD-781 826.
BOEING COMPANYSEATTLE, WA United States
Washington, DC United States
- Linscheid, L L
- Mayer, J E
- Veldman, H F
- Publication Date: 1974-4
- Pagination: 196 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Aircraft noise; Jet engines; Jet transports; Nacelles; Noise; Noise control; Nozzles; Plugs (Fillers); Retrofitting
- Uncontrolled Terms: Noise reduction
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Conical nozzles; Jet engine nacelles; Jet engine noise
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Environment; Maintenance and Preservation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00092082
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: D3-9042-3 Final Rpt., FAA-RD-73-131-2
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA71WA-25280
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 18 1976 12:00AM