VLF AIRBORNE NAVIGATION REQUIREMENTS
A mathematical analysis of safety within the airways is presented with special attention to the interrelationship between pilotage errors and navigational errors characteristic of some vlf navigational methods. Error probability convolutions are performed. It is concluded that an error budget of 3.5 nmi for the vlf navigation system will provide adequate safety, but continued experimental work on error distribution and performance of additional error convolutions and safety evaluations are recommended.
Naval Electronics Laboratory CenterSan Diego, CA United States
Washington, DC United States
- Swanson, E R
- Dick, M J
- Publication Date: 1975-1-15
- Pagination: 22 p.
- TRT Terms: Aviation safety; Errors; Mathematical analysis; Navigation; Omega navigation system; Very low frequency
- Old TRIS Terms: Omega navigation
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00092080
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NELC/TR-1941 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 18 1976 12:00AM