SAFETY IN URBAN TRANSPORTATION: GUIDELINES MANUAL AND RESEARCH REPORT SUMMARY
An investigation was carried out with the purpose of providing information and reporting the results of analyses about the current level of safety and the need for additional safety effort in urban mass transit. The Research Report Summary outlines the steps followed in the investigation, and serves as an introduction to the final report which is now in preparation and will contain a full presentation of data on the safety performance of all passenger transportation modes, comparative analyses of their safety problems, and the rationale underlying the strategy and practice of safety management recommended in the report and reflected in the guidelines manual. The manual presents a series of organizational and technical safety guidelines designed for use of the transit management community. The guidelines are intended to show how the transit industry--supplier firms and operators--can develop programs that will assure satisfactory operational safety levels. By describing ways in which suppliers and operators can set logical safety goals and establish organizations and engineering procedures to attain them, the manual sets forth a model for industry management and for basing the interaction, regarding safety, between pertinent Government agencies and the transit industry. The manual covers the following topics in separate chapters: foundations of safety in urban mass transportation; safety management and planning; techniques for safety analysis; trade-off considerations; system safety data base; safety standards and specifications; and intermodal interface safety considerations. These guidelines are in the form of suggested or recommended parctices accompanied by explanation. They are designed to have a considerable latitude of user interpretation so they can fit the wide variety of specific situations found in the transit industry.
- Contract also sponsored by UMTA.
Battelle Columbus Laboratories505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH United States 43201
Naval Underwater Systems CenterNew London, CT United States
- Cheaney, E S
- Hoess, J A
- Thompson, R E
- Svehla, R L
- Publication Date: 1975-5-5
- Pagination: 101 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Guidelines; Intermodal transportation; Management; Manuals; Planning; Prevention; Public transit; Rapid transit; Risk analysis; Safety; Specifications; Standards; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00127048
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA RI06-0005-751,2
- Contract Numbers: N00140-73-C-A394
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 14 1981 12:00AM