EXPERIMENTAL IRRADIATION STUDIES ON UO2-CONTAINING ELEMENTS FOR THE NUCLEAR MERCHANT SHIP REACTOR PROGRAM
Two series of capsules containing uranium dioxide clad with stainless steel have been irradiated for the purpose of studying the properties after a moderate burnup in an efficiently cooled capsule in one series, and a moderate burnup in a capsule designed to simulate the condition of overpower in the other series. Specimens in the first series of three capsules had an enrichment of 4 percent and were irradiated to a burnup of 0.1 percent uranium. The uranium dioxide did not show any significant effects that could be definitely attributed to radiation. Specimens in the second series of three capsules had an enrichment of 3 percent and were irradiated to a burnup of 0.05 percent uranium. Low-conductivity materials of low thermal-neutron-absorption cross section were used to surround the specimens and thermally insulate the fissioning uranium dioxide. The uranium dioxide showed considerable change as a result of irradiation, chiefly in the formation of columnar grains and central voids in all three capsules. A sample of fission gas was taken from one of the capsules and its analysis for xenon-133 indicates that only approximately 0.0005 percent was released from the uranium dioxide.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number BMI-B&W-651.
Battelle Memorial Institute505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH United States 43201
Babcock and Wilcox CompanyAtomic Energy Division
Lynchburg, VA United States 24504
- Lamale, G E
- Smith, J C
- Hare, A W
- Dickerson, R F
- Publication Date: 1959-11-11
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 51 p.
- TRT Terms: Fuel consumption; Fuel elements; Irradiation; Nuclear fuels; Nuclear powered ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Irradiated nuclear fuel
- Subject Areas: Energy; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00026174
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: BMI-B&W-651
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-3)-274
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 6 1973 12:00AM