THE DETERMINATION OF EXPERIMENTALLY BASED LOAD-DEFORMATION PROPERTIES OF A MINE FILL
A variation of the Variable Moduli Model II is used to investigate the virgin load response of a mine fill (silty sand) and its suitability as a working platform in the mine. This constitutive model permits the description of nonlinear stress-dependant material properties based on the entire experimentally determined stress-strain curves at least up to failure conditions. The laboratory sample is treated as a heterogeneous sample having stress-dependant properties and the boundary conditions, such as rough end plates usually encountered in a triaxial test, are considered realistically. The model was used for analyzing both the laboratory triaxial tests and a field plate bearing test. When adjusted to fit the laboratory tests it gave good agreement with the field test. Its ability to analyze the complete stress-strain behavior of soil is still questionable, and more development is required in regard to volume change. In addition it is not applicable to soils when dilation occurs. The methods, however, show good potential for determining constitutive relations from laboratory tests, which can be extrapolated to field conditions. This method, which permits flexibility and possibly simplification of the laboratory testing by making the material parameters less dependant on the test, requires that the testing be relevant to the field situation and the appropriate field stress paths to be followed. It is advisable that the constitutive relations so obtained be checked by large scale field testing before extending it to practical situations.
- Presented at the 2nd Australia-New Zealand Conference on Geomechanics.
Institution of EngineersScience House, Gloucester and Essex Streets
- RICHARDS, B G
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Deformation; Deformation curve; Fills; Laboratory tests; Loads; Mathematical models; Mines; Nonlinear systems; Plate bearing test; Silty sands; Stresses; Triaxial shear tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Experimental data; Models
- Old TRIS Terms: Stress path
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00126969
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: #247
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 14 1976 12:00AM