DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF PHASES 2 AND 3 TO THE UNITED STATES ATOMIC ENERGY COMMISSION FOR THE HANDLING EQUIPMENT FUNCTIONAL TEST FOR THE REFUELING SYSTEM OF THE NUCLEAR POWERED MERCHANT SHIP SAVANNAH (REV-1)
Detailed descriptions are given of Phases 2 and 3, the Reactor Internals Handling Test and the Fuel Element-Control Rod Handling Test, respectively, for functional testing of handling equipment for the N.S. Savannah refueling system. The data demonstrate that the handling equipment specified is adequate to remove and install the internals, fuel elements, and control rods from the reactor vessel. Test parameters, equipment to be used, test location, and test period are listed. A general description of Phase 2 outlines the Permanent Internals Handling Test and the Upper Flow Baffle and Upper Grid Plate Handling Test. Phase 3 includes tests on manipulator handling, viewing equipment, fuel element, neutron detector enclosure clearance, neutron source handling tool, and dummy fuel element compatibility. Detailed descriptions and sequence of operations are given for each, and diagrams are included.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number B-3-D-Rev-1.
Babcock and Wilcox CompanyAtomic Energy Division
Lynchburg, VA United States 24504
- Leirvik, R M
- Publication Date: 1959-10-24
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 73 p.
- TRT Terms: Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors; Refueling; Safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor safety
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026162
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-3)-274
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 14 1974 12:00AM